Industrial production was up 0.3% in December. Retail sales rose 0.5% in December. The topline PPI fell 0.2% in December as the topline CPI was unchanged. Housing starts increased 12.1% in December as building permits were flat. Business inventories rose 0.3% in November. Initial jobless claims fell 37,000 to 335,000 for the week ended 1/12.
• Industrial production edged up 0.3% in December.
• Retail sales increased 0.5% in December. Excluding autos, sales were up 0.3%.
• The topline producer price index fell 0.2% in December. The core PPI increased 0.1%.
• The topline consumer price index was unchanged in December. The core CPI increased 0.1%.
• Housing starts shot up by a greater-than-expected 12.1% in December, to an annual pace of 954,000 units.
• Building permits were essentially flat in December at an annual pace of 900,000 units.
• Business inventories increased 0.3% in November.
• Initial jobless claims unexpectedly dropped 37,000 to a level of 335,000 for the week ended January 12th.